Indiana requires businesses with employees to register for a withholding tax account.
Indiana prefers employers register online, there is no registration fee.
Follow this link to the Indiana's "Tax Registration" page to set up the withholding tax account: https://inbiz.in.gov/taxes-fees/tax-registration and select the "Register Now" button at the bottom of the page to create your logon.
- Login to https://inbiz.in.gov/taxes-fees/tax-registration
- Select "Online Services" > "Register Department of Revenue"
- On "Department of Revenue - Tax Registration" page, in the "Important Information for DOR Users" box, review information required and select "Start Tax Registration"
- On "Department of Revenue - Tax Registration" page, in the "Reference Information Needed for DOR Registration box" box, review information required and select "Next"
- On the Business Search
- If business is a sole proprietorship or general partnership click the "here" link below the search box
- Select either "Sole Proprietorship" or "General Partnership" in the pop-up then, select "continue"
- Continue with registration of Sole Proprietorship or General Partnership
- If the business is located out-of-state and not required to register with the SOS select the "here' link for that option
- Search on business name or business ID > Select business and select "Next"
- If business located out-of-state:
- Are you withholding tax ... select "yes"
- Are you engaging in retail ... select "no" > Select "Continue" button
- Review the "My Taxes" box info then select "Next"
- In the Business Location Details box, complete the required information.
- You can look up townships and tax districts here: https://gateway.ifionline.org/TaxDistrictLookUp/LookUp.aspx
- In the" Withholding Tax, Assign Withholding Tax to Locations" box register each location (you'll need date first wages withheld as well as anticipated monthly income) select "Next"
- Select "Next" under the "Accounts to be registered" box
- Sign, title etc the "signature" box > Select "Add to Payment Cart" button
- On the "Sole Proprietorships, General Partnerships and Out-of-State Corporations" page, review the information then select "Continue with Department of Revenue"
- On the "Out of State Business Information" page, complete the required fields and select "Next"
- On the "Department of Revenue - Tax Registration For ..." page, complete the required fields (add officer/affiliate as well) and select "Next"
- On the "Department of Revenue - Tax Registration For ..." page, In the "Business Assistance" box, select "Guided User"
- Allow 48-72 hours for application to process