The federal W-4 form is used to determine how much personal income tax the government should withhold from an employee's paychecks. Make sure new employees complete a W-4 form before you create their first paychecks.
To enter the employee's filing status and withholding allowances:
- Go to the Employees tab
- Click the employee's name.
- Find the Taxes & Exemptions section, and click Edit
- Enter the employee's filing status and withholding allowances.
To print a Form W-4 for an employee:
- Go to Taxes & Forms > Forms and then Employee Setup
- Near the bottom of the window, choose the employee's name and then click W-4.
- On the Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate page, click View.
- Print the Form W-4 PDF file.
Keep your employee's completed W-4 for your records. If an employee wants to make changes at a later date, print another form at that time.