You can expedite your payroll processing with online time tracking.
How does time tracking work?
Employees enter hours using either online timesheets or an online time clock. When you're ready to run payroll, the hours collected through the time clock or timesheets roll into your Create Paychecks page. Review the submitted hours and make any necessary corrections, then run your payroll as usual.
What's the difference between Time Clock and Timesheets?
If you want to track your employee's hours closely by requiring them to clock in and out, choose the time clock option. If you trust your employee to record their hours and then enter them into a web-based timesheet sometime before payroll is due, then choose the timesheets option. You can choose both options if you prefer to assign some employees to each type of time tracking.
To get started with time tracking:
- Go to the Setup tab.
- In the Employees column under Time Clock, Timesheets, click Learn about this service > Add Now or Track Hours Worked.
- Select the checkbox for your preferred time tracking method: Time Clock or Timesheets (or select both options).
Note: Employees must have an email address entered in Intuit Online Payroll to use online timesheets.
Turn on the Time Clock option
- Go to the Setup tab.
- In the Employees > Time Clock, Timesheets section, click Track Hours Worked. If you don't see the company or employee settings link, you may not have finished setting up the Time Tracking feature for your company.
- Select the Time Clock checkbox, then click OK.
- Enter a new name for your time clock (Time Clock ID) and a Time Clock Passcode (do not use your payroll User ID and Password). If you plan to have multiple time clocks at multiple work locations, you'll use the same Time Clock ID and Passcode to open the time clock at each location.
- If you want employees to verify their identity when they use the time clock, select the checkbox for Require employees to enter a PIN when they clock in/out. When you choose this option, the preset PIN is the last 4 digits of each employee's Social Security number.
- Click OK. Then, at your office or worksite location, set up a computer as your time clock.
Do not use your payroll User ID and Password for your time clock. Your payroll contains extremely sensitive information about you, your business, and your employees. Share your payroll User ID and Password only with people who are working on your payroll.
Set up a computer as a Time Clock at your office or worksite location
If you chose the Time Clock option for one or more employees:
- On the time clock computer, open a browser window and go to time.PaycheckRecords.com.
- Sign in to the time clock. Use the Sign-in Name and Password you created at Setup tab > Preferences > Time Tracking Settings.
- Let your employees know they should use the new time clock to clock in and out for their shift.
If you checked the option during setup to require each employee to enter a PIN, be sure to tell your employees that the preset PIN is the last four digits of their Social Security number.
Enable employees for Timesheets or Time Clock
Before employees can use the time clock or timesheets, you need to assign a time tracking method:
- Go to the Employees tab.
- Click an employee's name. At the bottom of the employee's overview, look for the Time Tracking section.
- In the Time Tracking section, click Edit or Enable.
- Choose the time tracking method for this employee: Time Clock or Timesheets.
When you assign an employee to timesheets, we send an email message with instructions on how to start entering their time on our timesheet website (PaycheckRecords.com).